Improving website performance with Google Page Speed
As you know website load time greatly affects website ranking in Google. Page load speed depends on wide range of parameters of web-server configuration and website CMS. To test and optimize these parameters the Google suggested using Google Page Speed.
Introducing Google Page Speed
Google Page Speed is an addon for Mozilla Firefox with Firebug addon activated. With the help of this addon you can value the performance of web server and website CMS. This evaluation is based on effective methods of increasing page loading speed. They are called web performance best practices:
- Optimizing browser rendering: not using ineffective CSS selectors; not using CSS-expressions, relocation of CSS links and inline CSS into document headers, specifying images sizes.
Website analysis with Google Page Speed
In order to analyze the website with Google Page Speed run Firefox and navigate to the website page you want to analyze. Then you need to activate Firebug (select Tools > Firebug > Open Firebug or press F12. In the Firebug menu select Page Speed tab. To get accurate results wait until the page you want to analyze is fully downloaded. Press Analyze Performance button.
Analyzing is started. It takes from few seconds to few minutes before you get the result.
In this fragment of the report Overall performance summary (total score) has Medium priority. You can also see the list of rules (best practices you can use to improve your website performance), the page's score on each one and the link to Google Page Speed suggestions for improvement. Performance scores are the following:
- - High priority score indicates that these rules have to be optimized first. It wont take much effort but will greatly increase the performance;
- - Medium priority - optimization of rules with this score can be postponed as it requires lots of efforts and wont improve performance much;
- - Low priority - rules with this score don't need to be optimized or can be optimized but this will improve the performance just slightly (getting this score for a website that has to be optimized is very unlikely);
- - Information message - this score indicates elements that are not connected to the analyzed page or test errors.
Pressing the allows you to see all Google Page Speed recommendations based on analysis of particular rule. For example Leverage browser caching test checks if web server responses have correct HTTP Expires headings (they set the time interval during which browser can use objects preserved in its cache and doesn't have to load them from web server) for static objects:
This is a short version of website analysis with Google Page Speed. This information is quite enough for all who perform website maintenance on amateur level. For web-developers and technical support specialists there are more advanced tools to analyze website performance.
Website optimization with Google Page Speed
In this screenshot you can see that the page is using 4 CSS files that can be reduced in size for 30.7KiB (or 50%).
After we performed the minification of all of our CSS files the button disappeared and the score for Minify CSS changed from to .
Google Page Speed is a very useful tool and everyone who performs the website tech support should turn their attention to it. Google Page Speed can provide you with detailed report and will give you recommendations for improving website performance anytime and free of charge. This kind of information shouldn't be underestimated. Good luck with optimizing your website!
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 3.0 United States License.
Did you know that you can take much of optimization hassle by using service www.getpagespeed.com ? It automatically installs mod_pagespeed on any VPS :)
Got a comment?
All Rights Reserved.